Wrinkle Relaxer Treatment
Our treatment for wrinkle relaxers in Perth is also commonly referred to as: anti-wrinkle treatment or chemical brow lift.
What is a wrinkle relaxer treatment?
Many facial wrinkles occur when we use our muscles to make repeated facial expressions. Wrinkle relaxer treatment is a quick and simple minimally invasive, non- surgical treatment that can reduce the appearance of wrinkles delivering great natural looking results. The drug used for this treatment is extracted from bacteria and refined into a medication that is a natural purified protein.
How does the treatment work?
Administration of a wrinkle relaxer will block messages from the nerves to the treated muscle. This lack of communication will cause the treated muscle to no longer contract or slow down its movement. Lack of muscle movement under the skin will make the wrinkles relax and soften, creating a smoother, rejuvenated and more youthful appearance.
What can a wrinkle relaxer treat?
This treatment has both cosmetic and non-cosmetic indications. The treatment has been used for many years and has an excellent safety profile.
- Vertical frown lines between the eyebrows
- Horizontal lines on the forehead
- Lines around the eyes, commonly referred to as crow’s feet
- Eyebrow shaping and elevation
- Gummy smile
- Lines around the mouth, commonly referred to as smoker’s lines
- Lower face reshaping (square jaws)
- Downward turn of mouth
- Chin dimples
- Neck bands
- Excessive sweating
- Teeth grinding and jaw clenching
- Cerebral palsy (we do not treat this at the clinic)
What does the treatment involve?
Pre treatment consultation
A complimentary, non-obligatory consultation is provided by our Practitioner. This consultation enables you to express your concerns freely and confidentially. Following an assessment and examination a tailored treatment plan will be provided and the most appropriate treatment for you will be discussed. Your intended budget is also discussed.
The treatment involves a small injection into selected facial muscles using a very fine needle. Discomfort is generally minimal and brief, and no anaesthetic is usually required. Should you be particularly worried about discomfort, ice or an anaesthetic cream can be applied prior to the injection. The treatment generally takes around 10 minutes and you can return to work if need be.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 24 hours.
- The most important thing is to not massage the area for the next 24 hours. Not massaging the area will keep the wrinkle relaxer in the area is was intended for. Gentle face washing it fine after the injection.
- Avoid saunas, spas & hot showers for 24 hours.
- To assist with bruising, you may wish to apply a topical treatment such as arnica or hirudoid cream.
- Avoid the use of skin care containing active ingredients such as retinol, vitamin c, glycolic acid, lactic acid, perfumes and colours during the first 24 hours.
- Avoid applying oil based make up during the first 24 hours, mineral make up is fine.
- Avoid facials, waxing, chemical peels, IPL or energy-based treatments and microdermabrasion for two weeks after treatment.
Follow up appointment
You will be requested to return to the clinic approximately 2 weeks following your treatment. This is an important part of the treatment process as your practitioner will ensure that your treatment is complication free and that you are satisfied with the treatment outcome.
Results will vary amongst individuals due to individual muscle size and strength as well as the desired effect. Facial lines will soften, although they may not disappear, depending on the depth of the crease. Repeated treatments at regular intervals will improve results. By softening facial lines and contours you may appear more refreshed and less tired. People often report following a treatment friends and family have commented on how well they look but have been unable to specify the exact change.
The treatment works specifically on the muscle being treated. This allows unwanted or undesirable facial movements to be softened while untreated muscles continue to allow normal facial movement and expression. Very subtle and natural looking results can be achieved with careful dosing and thorough consultation.
Results are not instant, they will evolve. Results to the upper face evolve within 7-14 days and can take longer to take effect in some areas of the lower face. For most people, the effect will last 3-4 months before lines slowly begin to return. If you have repeat treatments, the effect may last longer. Longevity of results may also be related to the dose that you have received and will be discussed at your consultation.
Side effects are uncommon and if experienced, temporary. Possible side effects include headaches, pain, bruising, redness or swelling at the injection site. Very rarely, local muscle weakness has been reported when treating the frown or forehead area, causing temporary drooping of the eyelid.
The cost of treatment will depend on the dose that you require to achieve your desired effect. The required dose will vary according to the strength of the muscle being treated and this differs between individuals and facial areas.