What is IPL permanent hair reduction
IPL permanent hair reduction is a fast comfortable, permanent alternative to treat unwanted hair.
How does it work?
Pulses of filtered light are directed onto the skin and absorbed by the hair follicles.
Specific wavelengths of light are absorbed by the pigment in the follicles and converted to heat. The heat then disables the cells responsible for growing new hair.
Are there different types of IPL machines?
The Rodin Clinic uses the state of the art Palomar Starlux IPL system. The Starlux is a medical grade pulsed light system which is able to deliver a maximum amount of energy safely to the skin.
This IPL system has a superior cooling system built into the handpiece to allow safer, more comfortable treatments.
Pulsed light systems are similar to lasers, but with a larger, smooth beam, and a long pulse for safe, fast, and comfortable treatments.
What can IPL permanent hair reduction treat?
What does IPL permanent hair reduction involve?
Pre treatment consultation
A consultation is provided by one of our trained dermal therapists. The consultation is free, and includes your IPL test patch. This consultation enables you to express your concerns freely and confidentially. Following an assessment and examination a tailored treatment plan will be provided and the most appropriate treatment for you will be discussed.
Pre IPL skin preparation
- Avoid sun exposure for 1 month prior to treatment with IPL.
- Avoid the use of topical tretinoin 1 week prior to IPL if using in the treatment area.
- Wear wide brimmed hat, sunscreen and or protective clothing depending on treatment area.
- Do not use fake tan 2 weeks prior to IPL.
- IPL test patches are always performed prior to any treatment with IPL.
- After the consultation, and if you are happy to proceed, you will need to sign a consent form before treatment can progress.
- The skin is cleansed to remove sunscreen or make up.
- A grid pattern is drawn onto the skin with a yellow highlighter.
- The IPL handpiece then moves over the skin, pulsing as it goes, and a flashing light with a mild flicking sensation is felt on the skin.
- The grid is removed with a cool damp cloth.
- Ice or a cooling gel is applied to the skin.
- Sunscreen is applied prior to leaving the clinic.
- The treatment may take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on the area being treated.
- Avoid strenuous exercise.
- Avoid applying oil based make up during the first 24 hours. Mineral make up is fine.
- Do not expose the area to intense heat (eg solarium or sauna).
- It is very important to avoid sun exposure.
- The use of a broad spectrum SPF 30 and the wearing of a hat are essential.
- Avoid the use of skin care containing active ingredients such as retinol vitamin c, glycolic acid, lactic acid, perfumes and colours for 1 week after your treatment.
How many treatments will I need?
- You will need to have a series of treatments.
- The number of treatments will vary depending on the body part being treated, the colour of the hair and skin plus how much of the hair is in the active phase of growth.
- Our registered nurses and dermal therapist will be able to give you a better assessment during your consultation
Is there any recovery time?
- Most client’s go straight back to their normal activities after having IPL permanent hair reduction treatment.
- You may experience temporary redness and a mild sunburn like sensation that may last a few hours to a few days.
Are there any possible complications or side effects?
- There are always potential complications regarding IPL, however at the Rodin Clinic we perform test patches which enable us to accurately evaluate any potential problems.
- Examples of potential complications include prolonged redness and swelling which can last 1-4 days.
- Darker or lighter patches of pigment on the skin can also occur. Darker skins are at increased risk of this.
Who will perform my IPL treatment?
- A dermal therapist who is thoroughly trained in advanced skin therapies and rejuvenation.
- At the Rodin Clinic we pride ourselves on education, professionalism and patient satisfaction.
- Our therapists have several years experience and are constantly updating their techniques in order to provide you with outstanding care and results.
- Please see our staff profiles for further information.
- Intense Pulse Light is not currently regulated in Australia so anyone can purchase an IPL system.
What is the cost IPL permanent hair reduction?
Please contact us and we will be happy to provide you with fee’s and to make an appointment for a complimentary consultation.