Intense Pulse Light (IPL) Permanent Hair Reduction overview
How do IPL treatment work?
Are there different types of IPL machines?
The Rodin Clinic uses the state-of-the-art ICON IPL system. The ICON is a medical grade pulsed light system which is able to deliver a maximum amount of energy safely to the skin.
This IPL system has a superior cooling system built into the handpiece to allow safer, more comfortable treatments.
Pulsed light systems are similar to lasers, but with a larger, smooth beam, and a long pulse for safe, fast, and comfortable treatments.
What does IPL Permanent Hair Reduction involve?
1. Pre treatment consultation
2. Pre IPL skin preparation
In order to prepare for your IPL treatment, you must:
- Avoid sun exposure for 1 month prior to treatment with IPL.
- Avoid the use of topical tretinoin 1 week prior to IPL if using in the treatment area.
- Wear wide brimmed hat, sunscreen and or protective clothing depending on treatment area.
- Do not use fake tan 2 weeks prior to IPL.
3. IPL Treatment
- IPL test patches are always performed prior to any treatment with IPL.
- After the consultation, and if you are happy to proceed, you will need to sign a consent form before treatment can progress.
- The skin is cleansed to remove sunscreen or make up.
- A grid pattern is drawn onto the skin with a yellow highlighter.
- The IPL handpiece then moves over the skin, pulsing as it goes, and a flashing light with a mild flicking sensation is felt on the skin.
- The grid is removed with a cool damp cloth.
- Ice or a cooling gel is applied to the skin.
- Sunscreen is applied prior to leaving the clinic.
- The treatment may take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on the area being treated.
Book an IPL Consultation Today
You will need to have a series of IPL treatments. The number of treatments will vary depending on the body part being treated, the colour of the hair and skin plus how much of the hair is in the active phase of growth. Our registered nurse will be able to give you a better assessment during your consultation.
Most clients go straight back to their normal activities after having IPL permanent hair reduction treatment. You may experience temporary redness and a mild sunburn like sensation that may last a few hours to a few days.
There are always potential complications regarding IPL, however at the Rodin Clinic we perform test patches which enable us to accurately evaluate any potential problems. Examples of potential complications include:
- Prolonged redness and swelling which can last 1-4 days.
- Darker or lighter patches of pigment on the skin can also occur. Darker skin tones are at increased risk of this.
Portia who is thoroughly trained in advanced skin therapies and rejuvenation. At the Rodin Clinic we pride ourselves on education, professionalism and patient satisfaction. Intense Pulse Light is not currently regulated in Australia so anyone can purchase an IPL system. You can learn more about our experienced team here.